Slowly realizing that my town (Auburn, NY) IS Pawnee.
1. We have a rich and snooty neighboring town who we hate for being rich and snooty.
2. There is an affluent family, many of whom have held local public office. (One guy, while mayor, punched someone at a meeting. He was a sucky mayor.)
3. We are a town full of history, some of it negative. (One word: PRISON.)
4. Our library is evil. (They wouldn’t give me a job. And it just looks like it’s haunted.)
5. The people are kind of crazy (myself included), but, like Leslie Knope, we will always love our town. YAY AUBURN!
This is what counts as Memorial Day excitement in my town. Little rubber ducks, racing.
Leaving the Battlefield
Auburn freshman football players prepare to load the bus after being defeated Wednesday by the Corcoran High School Freshman football team.
Produced for The Fall Workshop 2010 at Syracuse University’s Newhouse School - TheFallWorkshop.com
Photographed by Amanda Voisard on Friday, Oct. 15, 2010.
THE FALL WORKSHOP: Community Photojournalism Presentation TODAY @ 1pm, BOCES in Auburn. SU and AHS photographers document life in Auburn, NY - from the everyday to the unusual - with help from some of the world’s best photojournalists.