What I learned from half-watching the pilot for UPSTATE, a show written by an Emmy-winning SU professor and shot locally:
- There is never a moment that we Upstaters are NOT making local references. (DINOSAUR BBQ SNOW UNIVERSITY)
- Hardware store greeter is a job? That one can have for many years? And the rest of us don’t have jobs?
- Serious discussions about wages and unions are often punctuated by witty observations about new hand-dryer technology.
- Whenever you and your spouse share a nice kiss, an annoying teen house guest will appear and make a HILARIOUS comment.
- It is always good to pepper in eerie clips of a guy on a shooting range (complete with SCARY LOUD GUNSHOTS) in a montage of family struggles.
- Siobhan Fallon is in this. Thanks to IMDB, I now know that she has also been in almost every movie and TV show. (SHE WAS JACK DONAGHY’S SISTER. WHAT.)
PS: Keyboard symbols in show titles? No. Just no. (See: Cyberbu//y.)